Remember, the better your clothes look, the more you make!
Prepare your CURRENTLY STYLISH clothes, checking that they are clean, unwrinkled, in excellent condition, and hung "properly" ON HANGERS - see next section...
NOTE: In our Teen/Junior sections, we will ONLY accept 20 pieces per gender of designer brand-name clothing and 10 shoes purchased for a teenager or younger within the past few years. We will be picky screening these items! Teenagers are picky shoppers! Do NOT waste your time tagging older items or women's/misses' clothing (even if a teenager wore them). Please label teen/junior items with "Junior" or "Jr." for girls and "Teen" for boys. Click Here for our clothing guidelines and a list of example designer brands we accept. Do NOT bring discount store teen/junior brands, and do bring seasonally appropriate items.
No time to tag? Check out the Valet Tagging section to find out more about this amazing service!
The hanger hook must face left (like a question mark). Even infant clothes need to be hung (so whole item can be easily seen).
- For two-piece outfits, place shirt on hanger, then safety pin pants/skirts/shorts through the waistband, to the back of the shirt at the shoulders supported by the top bars of the hanger. Do not hang bottoms underneath the shirt. More details below.
- For hard-to-hang items (such as many spring sale items: wide tops, swimsuits, spaghetti straps, etc) be sure and hang the piece(s) from the top sloping bars of the hanger, catching the safety pin "down deep" through both sides of the fabric, catching the clothing and tag twice. You can do this by putting masking tape or duct tape flags off hanger bar, then pin through fabric AND doubled over tape to keep from sliding. See example.
- For hangers without pant clips, you should use large safety pins to attach skirts, shorts, and pants at the top of waistband to the TOP sloping bar of hanger. See example below.
Fold duct tape around the top of the hanger and wrap it around itself, so that no "sticky" is left exposed.
Tip: Wire hangers work best for this.
Next, stick a safety pin through both the front and back side of the jeans and then through the tape. Fasten the pin over the top of the hanger.
Final result: They will not slide off of the hanger! NOTE: Do NOT tape the clothing to the hanger! Notice in the illustration, there are safety pins through the tape!
- For two-piece outfits, hang shirt on hanger, then safety pin bottoms through waistband to back of shirt at the shoulders. Bottoms must be supported by the hanger. Use only one hanger for sets of two or more pieces. Do NOT hang bottoms underneath the shirt. Do not pin bottoms halfway down the shirt. Do NOT mix sizes in a set (sell as separates if they are different sizes).
The example to the right is the BACK view of the outfit so that is why the hanger is pointed toward the right. Notice that the pants are "facing out" so that the buyer can see them! The pants are securely attached with safety pins to the TOP SLOPING BARS of the hanger rather than through the shirt (which places too much weight on the shirt fabric and causes stretch and holes). Also notice that all the pieces to this outfit are hung on ONE hanger.
Each clothing item must be LEGIBLY tagged according to the directions below.
If we can't read your barcode, you won't get paid for it! Neatness Counts! It's also smart to put a piece of masking tape with "only your 4-digit consignor code on it" either on/inside each piece in case the tag comes off the item.
Items with multiple pieces: You should put a tag on EACH PIECE. Write on the tag, for example:1 of 3, 2 of 3, 3 of 3, but ONLY put the price/barcode on the first tag!!!
Bedding (Baby/Kid/Teen ONLY!): Encase in heavy, clear plastic bag or use curly ribbon to secure pieces together; top to bottom and side to side so they do not become separated. Clearly describe all pieces included on the tag. Note the "items with multiple pieces" instructions, above. We recommend you Discount. LIMIT 2 per consignor; adult bedding no longer accepted.
Purses/Diaper Bags/Activity Mats/Backpacks/Neck Ties: Attach the item to a hanger with a zip tie to keep it secure so it doesn't fall off.
Shoes: LIMIT of 10 pair per gender in each of 3 overall categories: infant, kids, teens! Fasten them together with zip tie, large twist tie, curly ribbon, large pin, or tie laces together, then pin the consignor tag to the connector. The tag should go on the shoes, NOT on a box or plastic bag, which could be easily separated from the shoes. If you tag each shoe, please put the barcode/price on ONLY ONE TAG! Good idea to put your consignor code only on masking tape on bottom of each shoe. We accept only in season, clean, top quality shoes! We will be very picky screening shoes, so don't bring them unless you've taken time to clean them top to bottom. We recommend that you choose to discount shoes for the clearance sale. After the sale is over, you will be responsible for finding your leftover shoes.
Books/Games/Puzzles: Tagging tip if attaching tag directly to item: use blue painter's tape to avoid peeling off part of cover. You may combine "like category" books by using curly ribbon (tie both ways); you may then securely pin the tag to the ribbon, catching it twice with the pin. Make sure your tag clearly details what books are included in the bundle. Categories: pregnancy/parenting books; soft/infant/board books; toddler books; level readers; art & craft books; home school curriculum. At Drop Off, we will have marked areas for you to drop your different categories in.
Movies/Music/Computer Games (CDs, DVDs, etc.): BEFORE you bring them, check to ensure correct WORKING disc is in correct case; then use piece clear packing tape to tape shut each case. Mark "Tested" on tag. These may only be opened at checkout.
Stuffed Animals: We don't accept stuffed animals or beanie babies UNLESS they are New With Tags, collectible, or battery operated and like-new!
Higher Priced Items: At drop off, you will be required to list any items you are selling priced at $50 or more. Tip to discourage tag switching: Please doubly secure the pin to the tag by covering it with packing tape, making it difficult to unpin the tag from the item! Also smart to use zip ties to attach higher priced items to hangers, where possible.
We reserve the right to refuse or remove items from the sale. Inevitably, we will discover some "problem" items that passed our initial "done by human volunteers" screening. When we do, we will remove any defective item not marked with a circled "D" for donate from the sale floor, stamp it "Return to Sender," and hold with rejects. During the sale, consignors are encouraged to check this area (ask where) along with the "We Lost Our Tags" area and "Questionable Tags Board" for any of your items. Rejects will NOT be sorted and will be your responsibility to check for on Pick Up Day.
We strive to offer the highest level of quality we can! Your share is 70% of the selling price. Selling prices vary, but generally run about 20% to 35% of the retail price. $10 consignor fee will be deducted from your check.
Please DO NOT put duplicate 3x5 index cards on a single item.
Please DO NOT put a new barcode sticker over an older one.
If you change the price, please make a NEW tag; if doing so during sale, alert us first.
Large Baby Equipment, Furniture, Toys: On LARGE items, don't attach your tag to the item until Drop Off, where you can join your tag with a Large Item Claim Ticket (see photo), which will then be zip-tied/attached to your item after you've filled out the required information. If the item includes extra parts, please attach them securely with packing tape or zip-ties, and make note of them in the item's tag description.
- Connect car seat/bases/stroller combinations together with zip-ties to protect from separation, but loose enough that the car seat can be lifted off to see the stroller.
- On Power Wheels, please place the power cord in a Ziploc bag and securely zip-tie it to the vehicle when you drop it off.
- For additional protection and security of your large item, place masking tape with your consignor number & price on the bottom or underneath each large item. This helps identify your item in case the card is lost.
To hand-write tags, use whole index cards turned upright (vertical), OR you can print your tags using the templates below, on NO SMALLER than 3" x 5" on CARDSTOCK. Either way, be sure your tag is legible: neatness counts!
1) Safety Pin: Securely safety pin all tags to items. Pin to clothing article's left side, which is its "heart" area (to the right, if YOU are facing it). NO staples, straight pins, or tiny gold safety pins! See illustration for placement details. Place the pin HORIZONTALLY and catch the garment and tag card twice.
- If you must use a TAG GUN, be sure to tag through a seam or a label to avoid leaving a hole!
(For ITEMS with MULTIPLE PIECES, tag each item with your consignor code and description, noting piece 1 of X, 2 of X, etc.; BUT ONLY PUT THE PRICE/BARCODE on ONE of the tags!) Just in case an item loses its tag, it's a great idea to put a piece of masking tape with your consignor code only in the neck or waistband of an item. The more detailed the description (which is optional), the better our chance of matching items should they become separated from the tag.
2) Consignor Code: When you registered as a consignor, you were assigned a 4-digit consignor number. (If you have not registered, CLICK HERE). Your consignor code and the price of the item (along with whether or not the item will be discounted during the clearance sale), will all be reflected in the barcode label for each item. For added security, you should write your consignor code toward the top left side of the tag, under the safety pin, and your price on the top right side of the tag (across from the code); remember, the item will ALWAYS sell per the barcode price!
3) Category: Above the size, put the gender/category: Boys (B) - for items size 0-20; Girls (G) - for items size 0-16/18; Junior (Jr.) - for girls' sizes 1-13; or Teen Boy (TB) - for boys' sizes 28-40 waist.
4) Size: Under the category, put the size. If the item's tag reads "medium," please add the NUMBER SIZE you think the piece should go in. Exception: Junior/Teen tops may be sized XS, S, M, L, XL, etc.
It won't sell if it's not in the right size. Please do NOT mix sizes when combining pieces of an outfit (i.e., if top is different size than bottoms, simply sell them as separates)
5) Description: While this is optional, it is helpful both to shoppers and for your benefit - in identification in the event a tag gets separated from its item.
6) "D" for Donate: Please put a circled "D" on the left side of the tag above the barcode label of any item you wish to donate if unsold. Remember, donated items benefit local families and charities. On "D" items, please choose to discount them when your order your barcodes, allowing you to sell more on clearance days!
7) Barcode label: Apply a barcode label sticker near the bottom of each tag card (required). To print barcodes for your tags on address labels at home, login to your Consignor Homepage and select "Order Barcodes". If you are not able to print your own barcodes, we will print them for you! Your barcodes will print the consignor number, price, barcode, and will specify whether or not you want the item to be sold at half-price during the clearance sale. All this information is encoded into the barcode, and each item will be sold per the barcode info! For barcoding details, CLICK HERE.
PDF Download: Use this download to print a template of blank tags (4 per sheet of 8.5" x 11" cardstock paper)
• • • •
DOCX Download: Use this download if you'd like to edit your tags before printing (example: typing in your consignor number or other information that might stay the same for multiple items, like price or category) *Requires Microsoft Word to open
Minimum item price of $2.00!
Price your items to sell, not to sit!* Ask yourself what you would be willing to pay for the item. Selling prices vary, but generally run about 20% to 35% of the retail price. New or "Like New" items, along with boutique/designer brands, run on the higher end of that scale. Remember, you choose whether or not to discount your items and let them go for half price during the clearance sale (you do this when ordering or printing your barcodes). If you later decide to discount the item, you must make a new tag/new barcode.
*We must advise Discounting DOES increase your sell-through, and we encourage you to do it and let it go! (After all, you don't really want to bring stuff back home, do you?)
*We reserve the right to turn away items at Drop Off and/or remove items from the floor we feel are overpriced and therefore are in conflict with our sale mission of passing on blessings and outfitting growing families for less ... enabling them for more.
Altered tags will NOT be accepted! For your security, if your tag needs changes, make a new tag. If you decide to change the price, you will need a new tag with a new barcode (we can print them at the sale location). Do NOT place barcode stickers over another one! Tags must be legible; write clearly and neatly.
Need some help? Check out our simple tutorial video to help get you started on pricing your items!
Please let us know before changing a tag at the sale location!
We will continue to add to this section.
Please feel free to email us any tips you think of!
*Remember to visit each link under the Sell tab of this website, including Schedule, Guidelines, Barcoding, and Tagging.
Although tagging your own items for consignment usually earns you, the consignor, the most money, we realize it's just not everyone's jam.
While many actually come to enjoy the sentimental prep journey before each sale - knowing their time investment will pay off big (both in sales and through the early shopping pass they score by participating) - others just can't fathom preparing, hanging and tagging all their stuff.
If this is you (someone with great quality stuff but no time or interest in tagging... yet you’re someone who loves being a good steward while helping local families) then our Valet Tagging may be for you!
Once matched with an experienced tagger (while openings last), you'll give them your clean, neatly folded items, and your tagger will do the rest. Easy!
Sure, it will cost you more out of your sales percentage for them to do the work, but you will still earn 45% of your sales plus a ticket to shop the amazing selection and deals BEFORE the public (and one to early clearance shop too)! You will also pay a minimal supply fee, which covers your tagger's various supplies, such as hangers, index cards, ink, tape, barcodes, zip top bags, etc. And, as applies to all consignors, a $10 consignor fee will be deducted from your check.
In addition, you'll be helping local mamas! Your tagger (a local mom) will earn money through your participation - and hundreds of thankful families will shop your items, practicing recycling at its best. Finally, any unsold items you allow to be donated following the sale ripple out as blessings to many wonderful local charities.
Message us now if you’re interested in a Valet Tagger spot. Again, spots are limited, so don't wait until the last minute.
Check out the Sell section of our website for a list of the MANY types of items we accept, then start gathering yours. Think how great you’re going to feel clearing out while spreading blessings!